History - Whitecross NS

Go to content

Main menu:

History

About Us

There were four schools in the parish in 1826. These were located in Greenanstown, Stamullen, Gormanston and Lisdornan. In 1831, the British government set up a national school system so that every child in the country was entitled to free primary school education at public expense. Previously, parents had to pay for their children’s education. A national school was first established in Whitecross in 1842 on a site given by Lord Trimbleston. This school served the area for over 100 years, until 1951, and is still standing in the wooded area just south of the present school.
  
A new school was built at Whitecross in 1951 and was officially opened and blessed by Most Rev. John Kyne, then Bishop of Meath. It was originally a two teacher school and developed as the population grew in the area.



1951-------------Moved to new two classroom school, from old buildings

1958-------------Appointment of third teacher. One teacher moved back to the old                                                                  school

1961-------------Third classroom built onto new school. Water and toilets installed in                                                                    the school

1967-------------Central heating installed in the new school

1967-------------Prefabricated classroom erected in the school yard

1970-------------A second prefabricated classroom is erected in the school                                                                                yard

1979-------------Peter Gordon is appointed principal

1980-------------Four new classrooms built and General Purpose Room. The school now consists of 7 classrooms and the Hall

1990-------------New double prefabricated classrooms and learning support room

2002------------Liam Burke appointed principal

 
 
Back to content | Back to main menu